10/16/17 Minutes: Winter Calendar discussion

In attendance: Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – We ran They Live for our second Popcorn Politics movie on Friday night. It was a fun, with a great turnout and a great discussion afterward.

2. Upcoming Event – Robert’s presentation on Factory Farming is this Saturday. Ty reports that we may need a laptop with Windows on it to open his PowerPoint. He’ll look into it.

3. Winter Calendar –

We and DSA are interested in continuing Popcorn Politics into the winter with three more movies. Major suggestions raised on Friday after THey Live were RoboCop, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, and The Terminator.

Jackson suggests that we perhaps do another race-centric February lineup in honor of Black History Month. We are also currently considering adding Whose Streets as a February movie, depending on its availability. (It’s still being shown in theaters.) Ty suggests that the February discussion could be on the racists dimensions of the prison-industrial complex, possibly with a provocative title calling it something like “Modern-Day Slavery.” Jackson is intrigued, but concerned about the specifics of marketing that event so that we’re clearing saying “blackness is treated as criminal” and not awkwardly implying that “black people are criminals”.

Ty also thinks we should maybe have one of our discussions on immigration.

Family-Friendly Movie Night: An American Tail
Or: The Iron Giant, The Secret of NIMH, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa

Reed brought up a Frank Little independent film and book that recently came out. And we could potentially discuss him or screen the film.

We had a discussion about national liberation movements and international solidarity, but as far as turning it into a discussion, we’d have to work on making sure it’s not overly theoretical and able to be accessible for folks who don’t know much about the topics.

Some ideas that were left over from the Fall Calendar planning:

Discussion Group: “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race)

January/February: Trans Clothing Exchange

Chris is interested in doing a presentation on Thomas Sankara.

Tabled items: Winter Calendar, Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop

Meeting adjourned: 8:15 PM

 

10/9/17 Minutes: They Live, Winter Calendar Planning

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), James, Reed, Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Upcoming Event – They Live is on Friday! Jackson says he will continue to hype it on Facebook.

2. Winter Calendar –

Family-Friendly Movie Night: An American Tail
Or: The Iron Giant, The Secret of NIMH, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa

Reed brought up a Frank Little independent film and book that recently came out. And we could potentially discuss him or screen the film.

We had a discussion about national liberation movements and international solidarity, but as far as turning it into a discussion, we’d have to work on making sure it’s not overly theoretical and able to be accessible for folks who don’t know much about the topics.

Some ideas that were left over from the Fall Calendar planning:

Discussion Group: “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race)

January/February: Trans Clothing Exchange

Chris is interested in doing a presentation on Thomas Sankara.

Tabled items: Winter Calendar, Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop

Meeting adjourned: 8:48 PM

10/2/17 Minutes: Winter Calendar Brainstorming

In Attendance: Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Reviews – We ran two movies since our last meeting. Blade Runner went really well, with a really good turnout and discussion. Jackson just thinks he needs to be better about announcing the snack table before starting the movie. We also ran The Brave Little Toaster, which wasn’t well attended. We probably could’ve promoted it harder. We’ll try to run another family-friendly animated movie in the winter calendar.

2. Next Week – Jackson reports that Indigo Bridge is hosting a panel discussion “Activists, Academics, and Altruists: Environmental Activism” to inform people about getting involved in environmentalist work. While that sounds interesting, we probably won’t be going and will leave our meeting on as scheduled.

3. October Events – We spent some meeting time to work on getting our October events onto Facebook and our website.

4. Winter Calendar –

Family-Friendly Movie Night: An American Tail
Or: The Iron Giant, The Secret of Nimh, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa

Some ideas that were left over from the Fall Calendar planning:

Discussion Group: “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race)

January/February: Trans Clothing Exchange

Chris is interested in doing a presentation on Thomas Sankara.

Tabled items: Winter Calendar, Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop

Meeting adjourned: 8:15 PM

9/18/17 Minutes: Blade Runner, Book Purchases

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), James, Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Upcoming Event – We’re showing our first Popcorn Politics with DSA on Friday: Blade Runner! We need to set up the room for it, but there’s not too much we need to do.

2. AK Press – Ty went ahead and bought some books from AK Press, and spent $106.13. He’ll get reimbursed for that. Jackson also bought some books that were cheaper on eBay for the library, but he asked to take care of that when those orders actually come in.

3. Articles for Discussion – We reviewed the articles we had tabled for potential discussions.

 

Meeting adjourned: 8:08 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

9/11/17 Minutes: Event Review, AK Press

In Attendance: Chris, Jackson (secretary), James, Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – We had our reading/discussion group on “Everyday Anti-Fascism in the Era of Trump.” We had a good turnout, and a pretty lively discussion. We probably should’ve moderated better, as it was heated at a couple of points. Ty thinks we could’ve been more assertive. James thinks we should’ve asked more questions to maybe better understand some of the disagreements in the room.

2. Railroad Safety/Solidarity – Chris gave a report back on railroad safety and the legal importance of a current legal case against two Canadian rail workers.

3. DSA Fundraiser – James reported back on the DSA fundraiser in town last night.

4. AK Press Sale – Ty informed the group of AK Press having a sale on their books. We spent the rest of the meeting looking into adding some anarchist literature to our lending library.

Meeting adjourned: 8:45 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

9/4/17 Minutes: Everyday Anti-Fascism, Public Debate

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), James, Reed, Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:03 PM

1. Event Review: We hosted a DSA Lincoln discussion last week, which went well.

2. Upcoming Event: We have a reading group on “Everyday Anti-Fascism” on Saturday. We’ll need to print off the reading for that — Jackson thinks 20 copies would be ok. He’ll try to take care of formatting that, and Ty will get them printed.

3. Email: We got an email from Joseth — an old secular ally of Jackson. He emailed because he wants some assistance in organizing a public debate with a member of the Hastings Catholic community. Jackson will give him a call to figure out more details.

Meeting adjourned: 7:52 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

8/28/17 Minutes: September 25th Meeting, Button Labels

In Attendance: Dino, Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review: We hosted “Dismantling the Patriarachy: Via Communication.” Jackson reports that it went well, that he paid out the $50 speaker’s stipend we agreed to last week, and that our speaker Serendipiti may be in town for a while longer and expressed interest in doing more workshops here soon. We would be excited to host her again.

2. Upcoming Event: Jackson reports that the Lincoln DSA will be hosting a discussion on Venezuela here tomorrow evening. He will be opening up and having the room ready for them.

3. Self-Care For Activists: Ty reports that there will be an interesting event on campus on Monday, September 25th called “How to Change the World and Have a Good Time: Self-Care For Activists” from 7:30-9 PM in the New Cather Dining Center. We agree that we’d like to check that out, so we’ll cancel our meeting that week.

4. Graphic Designer: Ty has friends volunteering to design buttons for us! And he has a lot of ideas for new designs and updates on our existing inventory. Tabled to next week.

5. Labels for Buttons: Jackson reports that he can get us 100 sheets/12,000 labels for $29.90 including shipping. Ty thinks we can burn through those eventually, and suggests that we go for it! Jackson placed the order at the meeting and will be reimbursed $29.90 for the labels.

6. September Web Events: We spent the rest of our meeting posting our movie nights for the latter part of September.

Meeting adjourned: 8:18 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

8/21/17 Minutes: Emergency Meeting, Dismantling Patriarchy

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 8:00 PM

1. Emergency Meeting to Counter Hate Group – The meeting was delayed for an hour due to our presence being requested to talk about a response to the ACT America white supremacist hate group rallying on September 9th. Jackson went on our group’s behalf, and reported that the discussion is still ongoing at the time our meeting was postponed to, as many people came out to talk over the issue. We will do our best to remain in the loop, as we also have a reading group scheduled on that day, and we want to make sure that it doesn’t conflict with any leftist actions being held.

2. Upcoming Event – The Dismantling Patriarchy workshop is this Saturday. We did not get a flier sent to us, so we’ll have to do without. We’ll donate $50 to the speaker.

3. Treasury Update – Jackson posted a treasury update, and we decided to place $100 of the general treasury into the speaker’s treasury, $50 of which will be spent for the Dismantling Patriarchy.

 

Meeting adjourned: 8:45 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop

8/14/17 Meeting Minutes: Solidarity for CVille, Fall Calendars!, Last-Minute Events?!

In attendance: Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – We ran Fukushima Uncensored (maybe) on Friday night. Jackson may have accidentally loaded the wrong documentary, which had also been posted to YouTube under the same title. We had a great turnout though, and a pretty lively discussion afterward.

2. Vigil – We co-hosted an emergency vigil along with DSA Lincoln on behalf of the anti-fascists attacked by Neo-Nazis in CVIlle, Virginia this weekend. On less than 36 hours notice, we helped to rally about 500 people to Downtown Lincoln and raised almost $1000 for the survivors’ medical bills.

3. Solidarity Donation for CVille – We’ll also make a $50 donation to the comrades in Virginia from our treasury.

4. Reimbursement – Ty got our fall calendars printed, and he needs to be reimbursed. We agree that he’ll get his $12.07 back.

5. Calendar distro – Ty and Jackson made plans to get our fall calendars up tomorrow.

6. September Reading Group – Jackson took a few minutes of our relatively light meeting to get our first fall event up to Facebook, and Ty copied it to our website.

7. Last-minute Summer Events – DSA has contacted Jackson today about running another Young Socialists educational discussion on Tuesday the 29th. Jackson is free that day, so he’ll open up the House and host them.

We’ve also received an email about a travelling speaker who wants to host a workshop called “Dismantling the Patriarchy: Via Communication” here on Saturday the 26th from 6-8 PM. We’re interested in this event, and Jackson can open the House and host. Jackson will call the provided number and work out the logistics.

Meeting adjourned: 7:50 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop

8/7/17 Minutes: Sama and Bloth Show Cancellation, Fall Calendar

In attendance: Chris, Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – Last Saturday was “What is Anarchism?” and it was a good turnout and a good discussion! It was very animated and just about everyone had the chance to chime in, either with questions or responses. We need to remember to bring the topic up more often than we have. Asking folks in the beginning what anarchism meant to them was a good idea as far as framing what we should talk about, but Ty recommends that we might have framed the question as “what do you want to know/learn about anarchism?” in order to further guide the discussion to make sure what topics we really should touch on. We also set up a literature table, which was a good decision as people did check some books out (we should really prioritize buying more anarchist literature). Chris recommends having a little more programming involved: examples of anarchism in practice, summaries of anarchist viewpoints, etc.

2. Upcoming Event – Our movie night is Fukushima Uncensored, and we’ll be streaming it online. We’re ready to go!

3. Sama – Sama is not going to be able to make it, so we’ll have to make some announcements that her show’s unfortunately cancelled. No FB event, but it was on the calendar, so we need to spread the word the best we can. We’ll make a few posts on Facebook and on the website.

4. Fall Calendar –

September:
Saturday, September 9, 1-3 PM: Reading Group:“Everyday Anti-Fascism in the Era of Trump” (https://roarmag.org/magazine/everyday-anti-fascism-trump/)
Friday, September 22nd, 7-10 PM: Popcorn Politics (Co-Hosted by DSA Lincoln): Blade Runner

October:
Friday, October 13, 7-10 PM: Popcorn Politics (Co-Hosted by DSA Lincoln): They Live
Saturday, October 21, 1-3 PM: Factory Farming Awareness Coalition Presentation: Impacts of our Food Choices

November:
Friday, November 3rd, 6-10 PM: Popcorn Politics (Co-Hosted by DSA Lincoln): Reds (1981)
Saturday, November 11th, 1-3 PM: The Russian Revolution: 100 Years Later (a community discussion)
Friday, November 17th, 7-10 PM: Movie Night: Sir! No Sir!

September 30 or October 28, 5-7 PM: Family Movie Night: The Brave Little Toaster (Co-Hosted by Lincoln Repair Cafe)
Lincoln Repair Cafe is interested in co-sponsoring this event, it’s just a matter of deciding the date at this point. In order to accommodate parents who might not want their children out late at night, we’ll also be having this showing be a matinee.

We need to get confirmation from Lincoln Democratic Socialists of America as far as how they actually want to shorten their name – our shorthand for it has not been confirmed as their official shortened title.

Future ideas:
Discussion Group: “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race)

January/February: Trans Clothing Exchange

Chris is interested in doing a presentation on Thomas Sankara.

Ty’s unavailability (greyout days): September 22, 29, 30; October 27
Football game days (blackout): September 2, 16, 23; October 7, 14; November 4, 24
DIO Fest September 14-17th
UNL Fall Break October 14th-15th
Thanksgiving November 24th-26th

Meeting adjourned: 7:50 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop