8/21/17 Minutes: Emergency Meeting, Dismantling Patriarchy

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 8:00 PM

1. Emergency Meeting to Counter Hate Group – The meeting was delayed for an hour due to our presence being requested to talk about a response to the ACT America white supremacist hate group rallying on September 9th. Jackson went on our group’s behalf, and reported that the discussion is still ongoing at the time our meeting was postponed to, as many people came out to talk over the issue. We will do our best to remain in the loop, as we also have a reading group scheduled on that day, and we want to make sure that it doesn’t conflict with any leftist actions being held.

2. Upcoming Event – The Dismantling Patriarchy workshop is this Saturday. We did not get a flier sent to us, so we’ll have to do without. We’ll donate $50 to the speaker.

3. Treasury Update – Jackson posted a treasury update, and we decided to place $100 of the general treasury into the speaker’s treasury, $50 of which will be spent for the Dismantling Patriarchy.

 

Meeting adjourned: 8:45 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop

7/24/17 Minutes: Fundraiser, Fall Calendar

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:06 PM

1. Event Review: We showed The Great Dictator on Friday, to great attendance! The discussion was light, but it was a fun event.

2. Robert’s Fundraiser: We sent in a fundraiser description to Robert, which he likes but he’d like to add some dimension of community interaction. He suggested having people send in questions for a Q&A, or have him post training updates, both of which sound good and will be added to the description. Now we have to sort out the details of how people will send in donations. Ty will look into that. Tabled.

3. Fall Calendar:

September:
Saturday, September 9, 1-3 PM: Reading Group:“Everyday Anti-Fascism in the Era of Trump” (https://roarmag.org/magazine/everyday-anti-fascism-trump/)
Friday, September 22nd, 7-10 PM: Popcorn Politics (Co-Hosted by Lincoln DSA): Blade Runner
TBD: Another movie night?

October:
Friday, October 13, 7 to 10 PM: Popcorn Politics (Co-Hosted by Lincoln DSA): They Live
Saturday, October 21, 1 to 3 PM: Factory Farming Awareness Coalition Presentation: Impacts of our Food Choices
TBD: Another movie night?

November:
TBD: Popcorn Politics #3
TBD (November 11?): Discussion on the Russian Revolution
Date TBD: Movie Night: Sir! No Sir!

Late October OR Early November: Reds (same event as Popcorn Politics #3?)

TBD: Family Movie Night: The Brave Little Toaster (potentially collaborating with the Repair Cafe? The themes of the film and why we’d show it in the first place also meshes nicely with their mission. Jackson will message folks he knows from that group on whether they would want to co-sponsor the event somehow)

Future ideas:
Discussion Group: “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race)

Ty’s unavailability (greyout days): September 22, 29, 30; October 27
Football game days (blackout): September 2, 16, 23; October 7, 14; November 4, 24
DIO Fest September 14-17th
UNL Fall Break October 14th-15th
Thanksgiving November 24th-26th

4. August Events – We posted all the August events except for the Sama concert, as she’s asked for a week to figure out whether her being able to tour after all is likely. Tabled just for the concert.

Meeting adjourned: 8:34 PM

Tabled items: Fundraiser, Sama, Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

7/10/17 Minutes: DSA Collaborations, Starting to Work on Fall Calendar

In attendance: Anthony, Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Meeting Start: 7:02 PM

1. Upcoming Event – We’re hosting a DSA film night this Friday. The film will be “Pride,” and unless Jade contacts us needing anything else, all we need to do is clean and set up the main room, and have a laptop available to hook up to the projector to show the film.

2. DSA Reading Group Discussion – Jade also contacted us saying that the next week there will be a reading group on the 19th at 6 PM. Jackson says we’ll be available to host these.

3. DSA/Black Cat House Movie Nights – The Black Cat House and Lincoln DSA have been talking about collaborating on screening sci-fi films with political themes. We have pretty much made it official that we should do this, but we’ve decided to gear it towards more general Hollywood films, in order to bill it as “Popcorn Politics.” It’s a little early to advertise it properly, so we’re not going to start immediately, but we want to get some films in this series on the fall BCH calendar. We’re also going to message people and talk to more DSA members to figure out a good date and time to have them. Anthony is going to put up polls on the DSA’s social media in order to see what’s a good day of the week to host them on, since Jackson and Ty would be available to host on most days.

Movie options:
They Live (multiple votes for this, both from the three people present and from other people we have talked to)
Blade Runner
Get Out
Aliens
Mad Max
RoboCop

4. Fall Calendar – We started working on the fall calendar.

September:

October:
Saturday, October 21, 1 to 3 PM: Factory Farming Awareness Coalition Presentation

November:

Ideas:
Popcorn Politics: officially scheduling what nights to show films
Discussion Group: “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race)
Family Movie Night: The Brave Little Toaster (potentially collaborating with the Repair Cafe? The themes of the film and why we’d show it in the first place also meshes nicely with their mission. Jackson will message folks he knows from that group on whether they would want to co-sponsor the event somehow)
October Revolution 100 year anniversary: Movie Night “Reds” (potentially part of Popcorn Politics or a separate collaboration with DSA?)
At least two other discussion events: one on the October Revolution in place of or in addition to the film showing?

Ty’s unavailability (greyout days): September 22, 29, 30; October 3, 27
Football game days (blackout): September 2, 16, 23; October 7, 14; November 4, 24

Meeting adjourned: 8:25 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

6/26/17 Minutes: Movie Nights, Fundraiser

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), James, Ty (secretary), Wyatt
Meeting Start: 7:00 PM

1. Upcoming Events – Movie night on Friday! We’re going to be streaming Paris is Burning, so an easy set up. The film’s been unfortunately double-booked with the Chill & Heal Fest, but Wyatt says that people will be partying all night long so we’re hoping we’ll still be able to attend after the film showing.

Then we’ll be having our Racism, Capitalism, and the American “Revolution” discussion the next day, but besides having some info to present on, we think we’re pretty good.

2. DSA Movie – DSA wants to host a movie here on Friday, July 14th. Jackson isn’t sure exactly what it’s called, but it’s a movie about a coal miners’ strike that was particularly related to the local queer community, and we think it’s a cool subject so we’re cool with them having it here.

3. Robert’s Interview Questions – Robert got back to us with the interview questions; Ty’s going to read them over and draft up a description for the fundraiser. He’s also going to look into GroupRev in addition to Generosity, a site that James recommended because Generosity doesn’t have any fees attached to the donations.

Meeting adjourned: 8:23 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

6/12/17 Minutes: Robert’s Fundraiser, Book Presentation, Reading Group

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), Robert, Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:10 PM

1. Robert’s Fundraising Idea – Robert came by to pitch his idea for a fundraiser a little further. It would involve us setting up a fundraising site on GroupRev, and sending him some interview questions about his activism for a story to accompany with it; we particularly want to focus on him as a disability advocate, environmental activist, and animal rights activist. We’ll try to get some questions drafted by next week’s meeting so we can send them his way in a timely manner, then Ty will draft up the fundraiser promotion and start sharing it on our social media as soon as everyone involved gives it the OK. We also were interested in getting some updates on his training milestones as he works towards the half marathon, in order to periodically update the information available on the fundraiser.

2. Event Review – DSA was at the BCH again for another study group, and Jackson reports that things went fine.

3. Upcoming Events – We have two events coming up: Tilted Scales is a legal collective touring through Lincoln, and we’re hosting their book presentation and community discussion. It’s this Friday, and besides setting up the room and getting a table ready for book display purposes, we’ll probably be fine. The person will need a place to stay for the night, which we can provide. We have $100 in the speaker fund, and we’ll see about buying the book and whatever else is available for sale with it.

We also have a reading group on Saturday. Jackson needs some help working the copier and printing off the reading in question but that’s about it as far as necessary set-up. We worked on that tonight.

Meeting adjourned: 7:53 PM

Tabled items: Interview Questions for Robert, Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

5/29/17 Minutes: Reimbursement, Upcoming Events, Fundraiser

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:01 PM

1. Event Review – We showed Doctor Who on Friday! It was a modest turnout, with some membership from the local Doctor Who fan club coming out for part of it. It did successfully provoke some discussion, and we might show Doctor Who episodes again if there are more that seem interesting from a social/political standpoint.

2. Upcoming Events – We are hosting the DSA Lincoln Contemporary Issues Reading Group on June 1st. We just need to set the room up, and Jackson has that covered. Wyatt is also going to be speaking about his experiences in Cuba on the 2nd at Meadowlark, and we should help promote that event.

3. Reimbursement – The paper cutter came in, it works for our purposes, and we can take that off the list of things to buy! Jackson would like to be reimbursed $26.24 for it, and that was approved.

4. Messages – Robert, the presenter from the Factory Farming Awareness Coalition, is cool with what we sent him. He says pick a Saturday in fall, and we will propose October 21st at our usual 1 PM time and see if that works for him. Robert also sent another email, wondering if he would be able to use his competing in a half marathon to fundraise for us. We think that’s a generous offer, and will email him back for further details on what he would need from us as he prepares for the half marathon.

5. Speaker’s Fund in Treasury – We had previously reserved $100 in the speaker’s fund for Crimethinc, but we no longer need to do so as they are no longer able to come. Until we can confirm that Tilted Scales may come through, we have no reason to keep a hold on those funds, so the hold on using that $100 will be lifted.

6. June Events – We took the last part of the meeting to add the June events to the website and Facebook.

Meeting adjourned: 7:35 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

5/15/17 Minutes: Clothing Swap, Singalong, Things to Print

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary), Wyatt
Start time: 7:03 PM

1. Event Review – The clothing swap was this Sunday. We even extended it to today, and we still have many clothes left over. We will post tomorrow and say that people can still stop by before Friday by appointment, but on Friday we will pack the clothing up. We will likely put out the clothes again for the fall calendar, to see if the trans kids at the university would like to partake in them.

2. Upcoming Events – A movie night will be Friday, which should be simple. Just setting up the room for that, and James already brought the DVD over for the showing.

The other event is the Little Red Singalong. We’re going to compile a few lyricbooks for a few songs. Whether we sing all of them is one thing, as we’ll leave it up to the group that shows which songs we’ll sing. We’ll also ask the group whether they have other suggestions for songs they would like to learn and/or teach people. Ty will get those lyricbooks together; we’ll print about 20 to 25.

“The Internationale” original and Billy Bragg
“Solidarity Forever”
“Bella Ciao”
“You Ain’t Done Nothing if You Ain’t Been Called a Red”
“The Day the Nazi Died”
“Bread and Roses”
“Dump The Bosses Off Your Back”
“Song of the Lower Classes”
“Worker’s Song” by Dropkick Murphys
“The Preacher and the Slave”
“Love Me, I’m A Liberal” original and a modern take

3. Treasury – Jackson has a treasury update he is about ready to post. The general treasury is looking to be about $405. Jackson is also considering going for that paper cutter.

4. Calendar – We still like the sound of the summer calendar a week later! Ty’s getting them printed and we’ll talk about distributing them next week.

Ideas for Fall: Collaborate with DSA on “popcorn politics” movie night? (They Live, RoboCop); “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” but Jackson feels the points made were general enough that they could apply to anyone. (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race/)

Meeting adjourned: 8:11 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, paper cutter, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

4/24/17 Minutes: Tabling, May Day, Meeting Cancellation, Summer Calendar

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:06 PM

1. Event Reviews – Trekkies For Justice was a bust. We fell short on promoting it, and that could’ve been the cause. We’re probably taking the summer off as far as Trekkies goes. We also tabled at Lincoln Earth Day. We don’t go with the objective to make money, but we did break even on the table. Introduced ourselves to a lot of people, a lot of people remembered us – it went pretty well!

2. Upcoming Event – We’re hosting DSA’s study group on Wednesday. We just need to straighten up the room.

3. Tabling Opportunity – We have been invited to table at a neighborhood resource fair, on May 6th from 10 am to 2 pm at the F Street Rec Center. Jackson will be available to table, and Ty thinks he will be available, so we’ll go for it.

4. May Day – The May Day committee met yesterday. There’s a pretty good chance that it might rain, so we’ll need to make sure that the room is set up nicely on Sunday for if the May Day picnic gets moved to the House. The official call will be at 8 pm on Saturday night. We’ve also committed to bringing lemonade, and maybe some other things as the need pops up.

5. Next Week – May Day is next week! Since there is a strong possibility we are going to Omaha to participate in the May Day rally there, we will cancel our weekly meeting.

6. Summer Calendar –

June:
Possibly an article discussion, though it could be swapped for the discussion in August. Jackson mentioned “10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race” but he feels the points made were general enough that they could apply to anyone. (https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/truth-for-teachers-podcast/10-things-every-white-teacher-know-talking-race/)
Late June – Something for queer pride to commemorate anniversary of Stonewall riots. “Before Stonewall” is an option.

July:
Ty mentioned “They Live” as a possible movie night. Jackson brought up that someone at DSA was also interested in showing similar films, and we will ask if they would like to potentially collaborate on an event.
Saturday, July 1st, 1-3 PM?: Discussion (maybe a panel) on capitalism’s and white supremacy’s influence on the founding of the United States.

August:
Early August – Remembrance of the atomic bombings of Japan. Suggestions to tie to Fukushima nuclear disaster. “Fukushima Uncensored” was available in full online. Jackson also brought up “White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.” Still considering “In This Corner of the World” and “Yunagi City, Sakura Country.”
What is Anarchism?
Monday, August 21st, 7 PM – Sama’s concert

Possible Conflicts:

Friday, June 7th (Ty’s having surgery, and will be on the mend for 2 weeks); Sunday, June 11th (Pride March); Star City Pride (a Friday/Saturday in July? Maybe 8th/9th?); June 3rd and 24th are days Jackson will be likely at work.

Discussion is tabled to next week.

Meeting adjourned: 8:21 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, paper cutter, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop), Summer Calendar

4/17/17 Minutes: Earth Day, May Day, Summer Calendar

In Attendance: Jackson (moderator), James, Ty (secretary), Wyatt
Start time: 7:01 PM

1. Upcoming Events – There’s a Star Trek showing of Friday! That’ll be easy to set up. Then we are tabling at the Lincoln Earth Day event with Joe, and he’ll most likely give us a ride to the event. We’ll have some buttons and zines available for distribution, as well as three folding chairs.

2. May Day – There has been efforts to make an event happen for May Day. It’s still a work-in-progress, but there’s going to be another event at the Commons this Tuesday at 7 pm to talk about it further. Jackson is planning to attend, and James is going to try to attend as well.

3. Summer Calendar – Jackson proposes one open discussion and one film screening per month, plus one reading discussion to make a total of 8 events for the calendar, including the concert.

June:
Late June – Something for queer pride to commemorate anniversary of Stonewall riots. “Before Stonewall” is an option.

July:
Saturday, July 1st, 1-3 PM?: Discussion (maybe a panel) on white supremacy’s influence on the founding of the United States.

August:
Early August – Remembrance of the atomic bombings of Japan. Suggestions to tie to Fukushima nuclear disaster. “Fukushima Uncensored” was available in full online. Jackson also brought up “White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.” Still considering “In This Corner of the World” and “Yunagi City, Sakura Country.”
Monday, August 21st, 7 PM – Sama’s concert

Unscheduled:
What is Anarchism? Open discussion

Possible Conflicts:

Friday, June 7th (Ty’s having surgery, and will be on the mend for 2 weeks); Sunday, June 11th (Pride March); Star City Pride (a Friday/Saturday in July? Maybe 8th/9th?) — Jackson will also likely have work on one or two Saturdays in June… he’ll get back with dates next week (for real this time!).

Discussion is tabled to next week.

Meeting adjourned: 8:21 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, paper cutter, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop), Summer Calendar

4/3/17 Minutes: Yard Sale Postponed, Donations

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), James, Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – The Coming Repression and Standing Up Against Street Harassment were events we had last week. They were great events, but we wish they had better turnouts. Still had good discussions with the ~8 people that were at each event.

2. Upcoming Event – How The Democrats are Fracking the Left is coming up on Saturday. We talked about structuring the event and moderating strategies, and points that we want to discuss. We wanted to focus on real-world examples, and what to do about that Democrat co-opting movements.

3. Meadowlark Cuba Event – Joe sent us a flier for the Meadowlark panel of people who will be going to Cuba over May Day. He asked us to post it onto our Facebook page, which we’re cool with doing.

4. Book Reimbursement – Jackson bought a book, “Is Socialist Revolution in the U.S. Possible?” He’d like to donate it to the library. It cost $5, and we approve reimbursing him for it.

5. Donation – Jackson proposes donating to the Omaha GDC for legal expenses for the protesters arrested on March 25th. We going to donate $50 to them.

6. Earth Day – Jackson used the wrong email to register for Lincoln Earth Day. Ty will get in touch with them to get that registration updated.

7. Yard Sale – Due to the major construction happening on 16th street, we will likely not have any traffic hitting up our yard sale. We have determined that the sale itself will be postponed until construction gets to a point where traffic is allowed through again. Jackson proposes moving some higher end items on Craigslist, to bolster the treasury in the meantime. Further discussion on the item will be tabled. Soliciting for clothing donations for the Trans Clothing Swap, as well as the swap itself, will go on as scheduled.

Meeting adjourned: 8:39 PM

Tabled: Yard Sale