In Attendance: Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM
1. Event Review – We had our discussion, “How the Democrats Are Fracking the Left” on Saturday. It went really well. We should do this topic again.
2. Earth Day – Ty says we’re expecting an email from the Lincoln Earth Day organizers very soon with details about this year’s event. We’ve chosen some zines to take along, but we won’t be printing any more this year. Joe of the SWP has asked us if we could share a table, and has offered to pay half of our entry fee in exchange. We are ok with this, and Jackson will talk to Joe.
3. Yard Sale/Fundraiser – We spent some time and discussed our fundraising options for the year. We have decided that having a yard sale at our house is not an option this year, and we’ve also dismissed the possibilities of having a full-scale yard sale at an alternate location. We will explore selling our high-end donations online (e.g.: craigslist, Facebook marketplace), and possibly send some mid-level stuff to our families’ yard sales if those happen later in the summer.
4. Summer Calendar – Sama has asked us if we’d like to host a concert for her on August 21st. We will!
Ju Ping has recommended either In This Corner of the World or Yunagi City, Sakura Country in remembrance of the atomic bombings of Japan.
Jackson proposes one open discussion and one screening per month, plus one reading discussion to make a total of 7 events for the calendar.
June – Something for Queer Pride (anniversary of Stonewall Riots)
Early August – A film to commemorate the atomic bombings of Japan
Monday, August 21st, 7 PM – Sama’s concert
No Dates and Possible Conflicts:
Friday, June 7th (Ty’s having surgery, and will be on the mend for 2 weeks); Sunday, June 11th (Pride March); Star City Pride (a Friday/Saturday in July? Maybe 8th/9th?) — Jackson will also likely have work on one or two Saturdays in June… he’ll get back with dates next week.
Discussion is tabled to next week.
5. DSA Education Group – Some of the young DSA members who attended our discussion on Saturday are organizing a leftist education group. Jackson would like to offer them the use of our space for this event, and Ty has no objections.
Meeting adjourned: 8:20 PM
Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, paper cutter, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop), Summer Calendar