3/20/17 Minutes – Coming Repression, Reading Group, No Meeting Next Week!

In attendance: Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:04 PM

1. Event Review – We had our reading group on “The Safety Pin and the Swastika” on Saturday. We spent about half an hour with our group reading of the 8 page essay. Jackson thinks we can continue to do this format with readings up to 10 pages long. Our turnout was a bit low, but we still had a pretty good discussion thanks to the material in the reading. Jackson would like to try another event with this format over the summer.

2. Upcoming Event – “The Coming Repression” is next Tuesday! James has emailed us to tell us he’s preparing to leave Houston, and Ty has responded with what we believe to be what he’ll need to find us and keep in touch.

3. Next Week – Ty will be out of state next Monday, so we’ll cancel next week’s meeting. We’ll announce it on Facebook.

4. Web Events – We spent a bit of working on getting more events advertised online from our spring calendar.

Meeting adjourned: 8:17 PM

3/13/17 Minutes: Lots of Reimbursements, Upcoming Event Info

In attendance: Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – What is Fascism was on Saturday. We had a good turnout, but given the crowd that came, it didn’t have the approach to the topic that we intended. We figured that this was unavoidable.

2. Upcoming Event – “The Safety Pin and the Swastika” reading discussion is coming up. We’ll make 10 copies of the article for Saturday.

3. Reimbursement – Ty asks to be reimbursed for $12.87 for fliers. This was approved.

4. The Coming Repression -The presentation that the Houston speaker is going to give has been scheduled for March 28th at 7 PM. Fliers have been printed and will be posted around town. We will also send the image to Ju Ping so he can send out a good notification on the listserv. We will also put $100 into our speaker’s fund for this event.

5. Books – We ended up buying $211.93 on books from Monthly Review Press. We also approve transferring $200 from the general treasury to the library treasury to cover these costs. Jackson used his funds to pay up front, and he has been approved for reimbursal.

6. Lincoln Earth Day – The booth has been paid for! Jackson has been approved to be reimbursed $35 to cover the costs.

7. Web Events – The April discussion event is live, and the Little Red Singalong event page needs to be put up soon to start gathering interested musicians. We will postpone the sale and clothing swap events being put up until next week


Meeting adjourned: 8:16 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, paper cutter, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)

3/6/17 Minutes: Lots of Upcoming Events Updates, Spending Money

In attendance: Jackson (secretary), Ty (moderator)
Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – We showed the documentary Women in Red Stockings on Saturday night. It was ok.

2. Upcoming Event – Our “What is Fascism?” discussion is this Saturday! We spent some time to brainstorm our structure and talking points:

Take definitions in intros
Use Holocaust History Museum poster as primary group definition
Do people agree/disagree with what’s on the poster?
Can the U.S. be considered fascist?
Is Trump a fascist?
Introduce Antifa and see how people feel about those tactics
Explore other tactics of resistance?

3. Reimbursement – Jackson has bought us the larger whiteboard we have wanted for months. It cost him $25.49. He also bought us more dry-erase markers to use on our whiteboards for $6.39. We agree to reimburse him for these collective purchases.

4. Street Harassment Event – We’ve heard back and PREVENT’s flier and our calendar will both be called “Standing Up Against Street Harassment.” Rae has also provided us with a short draft description for our Facebook event, but Jackson has asked if we can possibly get a little more information about her about the structure of the event to also include in event descriptions. Ty will email her to check into this. Ty will be getting PREVENT’s flier printed and distributed around town.

5. Earth Day – Ty has received word back from the Lincoln Earth Day organizers and it is ok that we register as a non-profit again this year. Jackson will get us registered ASAP.

6. Anti-Repression Event – An activist in Houston is organizing a workshop tour through our neck of the woods, and he wants to do one in our space! He has suggested March 28th (Tuesday) or 29th (Wednesday), but indicated he has some flexibility that week. Ty is emailing him back to see if he can do it on Thursday the 30th as it would be better for us and also likely better for our likely turnout, but Jackson is prepared to make it work on Tuesday or Wednesday even if he has to do it alone (as Ty will be out of state on those days).

7. Taiwan Marriage Equality – In a discussion started last week, we decide that we can spare $20 toward the crowdfunded media campaign. Jackson will make the donation on our behalf, and he will be reimbursed.

8. Monthly Review Press – Our friend Wyatt sent us word on an online sale at Monthly Review Press! We don’t really have time or energy to look at their catalog tonight, so we agreed to look at it on our own time in the next few days (since the web coupon will be expiring before our next meeting).

9. Web Events – We spent the last part of our meeting putting up some web promotion for upcoming events.

Meeting adjourned: 8:30 PM

Tabled items: Articles for Discussion, Graphic Designer, Stuff to Buy (canopy, stuff to secure bike rack, paper cutter, labels, 7×7 no-slip outdoor mat for porch, new SSD hard drive for public laptop)