3/23/15 Minutes: Working Meeting

In attendance: Ashley (secretary), Jackson

Event review: We event was fine, the movie was a good choice.

Quorum was not met (and we didn’t have much to talk about anyway), so we spent most of the meeting working on the garage sale items.

Tabled: Pronoun buttons, Earthstock

3/16/15 Minutes: Open Hours, Garage Sale

In attendance: Ashley (moderator), Jackson (moderator), Ty (secretary)

Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Upcoming Events: We have the Erin Brockovich movie on Friday. Sammi brought over the film at the last meeting, so we’re ready to go!

2. Open Hours: Both Ashley and Ty will be busy during parts of open hours. Ashley might be able to cover it until 4 or 5, and if she can then Jackson can cover the tail end of it. In addition, since Ashley and Ty are the only people who can cover them on a regular basis, and both will be working new jobs soon, we won’t be continuing open hours in the summer calendar. We’ll reevaluate whether we can do them again when scheduling for fall.

3. Corn This Way: Ty is intending on going to a conference for LGBTQ youth, and emailed the staff regarding the possibility of tabling during their resource fair. Ashley also suggests asking about proposing a clothing swap to them. Ty will return with more info when he hears back from them.

4. Garage Sale: After this week’s movie, we’ll pull all the donations from downstairs and begin pricing and organizing for the sale. We need to get out or remake our signs, and get a craigslist ad up. We should also look for volunteers to help set up in the mornings.

5. Earthstock: We need to finalize the exact topics we want to talk about before opening the event up for group discussion. We decided to table this.

Meeting adjourned: 7:34 PM

Tabled: Pronoun buttons, Earthstock

3/9/15 Minutes: Earthstock Event, Cuba Forum

In attendance: Ashley, Jackson (secretary), Sammi (moderator), Ty (moderator)

Start time: 7:00 PM

1. Event Review – Trekkies was on Saturday night; it was a good time as always. Feminist Discussion Group met on Sunday afternoon. It was a good discussion; Ashley liked the way she, Jackson, and Ty split up the introductions of the three waves of feminism. Ty thinks we may have had a few too many awkward moments of silence; he thinks we should prepare more talking points to keep the conversation moving in.

2. Upcoming Events – LSH is meeting here on Thursday night; we’re ready for that.

3. Reimbursement – Jackson got fliers printed, and he wants to be reimbursed $5.35 for them. We all approve.

4. Earth Day Event – We discussed the direction we’re going to take with the Earthstock event. We’ll start with an introduction about environmental injustice, and then break out into group discussion.

5. Cuba Forum – We’re co-sponsoring a forum on Cuba, and we spent some time deciding how we’d promote the event. Ashley will make a Facebook event. We’ll copy some fliers at open hours tomorrow, and Ty will distribute them around town this week.

Meeting adjourned: 7:45 PM

Tabled: Pronoun buttons

3/2/15 Minutes: Cuba Panel, Earthstock

In attendance: Ashley (secretary), Jackson (moderator), Ty (moderator)
Star time: 7:00

Event review: We had both the Civil Rights discussion as well as Trekkies since our last meeting. The discussion had a pretty good turnout and went well! Trekkies went well too; Jackson played an episode of the animated series to honor Nimoy before the scheduled showing, and it was a nice way to fill up time while we were waiting for all of our guests to arrive. We decide it’d be a good idea to watch an episode of this series at every Trekkies for Humanism event.

Upcoming events: We have another Trekkies Friday, as well as a Feminist Discussion Group this Sunday. For the FDG, we each decide to take a “wave” to research and prepare a short presentation to give at the event. Hamartia is performing again on the 18th, Ashley will have a poster finished in time to print this week.

Cuba Panel: Joe Swanson wanted one of us to serve on a panel for an event at the end of the month about Cuba. It seems the panel filled up fairly quickly, but we’ve been offered sponsorship and have been encouraged to lead the community comment portion of the event. We accept both, and offered to help with promotion.

Reimbursement: Jackson printed the calendars, they cost $14.71. We approve of reimbursement.

Earth Day: Someone needs to use their paypal to pay for our Earth Day booth. Jackson will do it, we approve to reimburse the $35 cost

Pronoun buttons: We’re low on a few varieties of pronoun buttons. We kind of broke right now, but our big fundraiser is soon. We decide to print them after the garage sale.

Book donations: Joe brought us a bunch of books! We also got a couple of donations from a person new to the house! We go through the books and take the ones that will fit into the library, and added the couple that didn’t to the garage sale pile.

Earthstock event: We have 6 weeks until our event. We wanted the event to focus on strategy, “Thinking Globally, Acting Locally: Effective Environmentalism”. We decide to do an open discussion again, as opposed to a panel. We have more experience with this format, and students might enjoy being talked to and engaged rather than being talked at. Ashley will talk to Nick about this, and ask if there are volunteers who would like to contribute to the event.

Tabled: facilitation skills, pronoun buttons, Earthstock event